I wanted to follow-up on the idea of a TPW Cafe where we could gather with libations and music to muse, plot, and chart our progressive revolution.
Beyond this being an idea generated from and by the TPW community, it also is a practice in community engagement and mobilization with a fairly long history. Indeed, The World Cafe approach recently celebrated two decades of work and has been used in child welfare, homelessness, and domestic violence issues in the US while specifically used for adversarial issues and dialog among oppressed groups around the world. As Jerry Nagle offers in the video below: “Its elegant, its simple and it can be tremendously impactful“.
Initial ideas offered included:
- Fireside chats–getting Bernie to convene periodic talks to keep the movement focused
- New Congress/the Revolution–a place to see who is running for school boards, local positions, CDs, etc.
- State Squadrons–state specific ‘tables’ in the Cafe to focus on candidates and issues
- Issues: Voter transparency, Citizens United, the Environment
- Hosting: Taking turns hosting the cafe to ensure coverage and continuity
Let’s begin to flesh out what it is we want to do and how we wish to structure these Cafes! Don’t hold back on ideas–toss out whatever comes to mind, we’re brainstorming and everything has potential!
Updated/expanded ideas (6/20)
- Cafe Communities: To provide insight, articles, and info on issues & actions
- Draw on political experts (Angela M. & OccupyStephanie)
- Share content expertise
- income inequality
- Cafe Calls: Action items
- writing LTEs
- attending council meetings
- calling representatives
- volunteer needs and opportunities
- phonebanking/texting page (esp. for BS delegates)
- Cafe Calendar:
- ?? gathering/conversing day/time
- ?? action alerts/days (for follow-up and check-in)
WOW great work Birdies!!