It is easy not to see how far TPW has come in such short time as we are still ‘under construction’. Fortunately, LD has had the vision and gumption (and sweat equity) to get us started. As promised, Tuesday’s Terrace captures some of our efforts over the past week as well as reminds folks of those important but not urgent things we still hope to address.
Community Calendar: We’re getting really busy with the following series complementing the daily BNR and members’ news-breaking posts:
Science Mixtape Terrace Readers' Circle ??? Forum ??? Sundays Mondays Tuesdays Wednesdays Thursdays Fridays Saturdays
Reader’s Circle Wednesdays: Fleur de Lisa invites you to participate in the first Reader’s Circle discussion on Wednesday, July 20th beginning at 7pm ET. We’ll start off with ”Listen, Liberal” by Thomas Frank. Suggestions for future readings are encouraged! As the date approaches, Fleur will post discussion questions to stimulate your thought processes, not that anyone here seems to need additional stimulus to their thinking! Any questions or suggestions, please send Fleur de Lisa a message.
Thank you Fleur de Lisa for jumping in and getting this started!!
Forum Friday: We discussed a question that has been Bernin’ among us about how to get Sanders to continue to lead the revolution through Fireside Chats. As underscored previously, the following is the ‘capture’–we still have a ways to go. So, hopefully this will inspire more ideas! “The Basic Pitch” seems to be something along the lines of:
The Progressive Wing is answering your call for a political revolution and is confronting the failure of the mainstream media. We hope through you, to develop a loosely coupled network of progressive sites for community, information and action, which can serve as the alternative media source you’ve encouraged. As a platform, we will hold our political system accountable by fostering the informational and personal relationships that can transcend the artificial distance that’s been established between representative and the represented.
Your answers to the four central questions:
How do we get Bernie to sign on to creating Fireside Chats?
While there was concern that Bernie would need some down time after his run, there was overwhelming consensus that Fireside Chats were something he would be willing to engage in given his Brunch with Bernie series with Thom Hartmann. In terms of a specific pitch process, folks offered some interesting avenues, including:
- Approaching Aidan King of the Political Revolution reddit (see here)
- Sending this along with the questionnaire he mailed out
- Directly contacting him through his campaign and/or Senate staff
- Roping Jane Sanders in/using her as point person
What would these look like?
The TPW community was clear that we could not do this alone and that multiple media and avenues were needed to counter the MSM silence–an important selling point as Bernie has spoken to the lack of attention given to real issues. Hence, ideas included:
- Lifestreams including video and podcasts pegged to key issues/content:
- prior to upcoming Congressional activity that requires pressure from voters
- after major legislative action has been taken–to educate and detail next steps
- consideration, discussion and elaboration of complex issues
- ‘how-to’ guidance on citizen participation and political engagement
- promotion/development of activists, legislators, etc. who are doing important work–while fostering a ‘progressive bench’
- interviews with key progressives across the spectrum–academics, pols, activists, up-and-comers
- mobilization of voters–letter writing campaigns, calling Congress, etc.
- candidate rallies, speeches, and other notable events
- Decentralize and cross promote to maximize reach, for example:
- Thom Harmann
- The Young Turks
- Democracy Now
- Tim Black
- RT/Lee Camp
- Reddit (SandersForPresident and PoliticalRevolution)
- Email “The List” ahead of time (both as advertising and for bi-directional communication around needs/topics)
How often do you think they are ‘needed’?
Responses spanned from very specific to very general (e.g., weekly on Saturdays to whenever necessary to keep the movement alive!). Regardless, generally there seemed agreement about either weekly or monthly chats–with at least a standing monthly ’roundup’ or update. As well, there was consensus that materials should be archived for later viewing and access, and, if possible, with transcripts for discussion and sharing.
Are there other speakers we would like to be able to get for chats?
- Local and state representatives/legislators who need support or are moving the movement forward
- Berniecrats and progressives especially:
- Nina Turner
- Tulsi Gabbard
- Tim Canova
- Elizabeth Warren
- Jeff Merkley
- Kenneth Galbraith
- Cedric Johnson
- Robert Reich
- Academics, professionals, and subject area experts who could strengthen the knowledge base around progressive policies and approaches (i.e., especially to push back against myths and media messaging)
Please do provide feedback about what was missed, new thoughts, and especially, some ‘language’ for the pitch. Also, I believe @Belle-de-Jour offered to write the letter if we wish to send it!
Cafe Communities: Areas of interest for potential groups and actions
- Draw on political experts (Angela M. & OccupyStephanie)
- Keep abreast of candidates and politics
- Share content expertise
- income inequality/poverty
- farming & fair trade
- sustainability/climate change/environment
- Health care
Cafe Calls: If you have a few minutes, are feeling feisty, or just need a reminder, please check out these action calls (a special shout out to Bern So Good, CA Democrats, Linda Thieman, Polar Bear4 and, of course, LD for posting these!):
- Prosecute ExxonMobil petition
- Tell President Obama: Act on the Supreme Court’s decision now!
- Tell President Obama: Stop deportations now. Click the link to sign the petition.
- Tell the International Red Cross: Stop the Cuts in Family Visits for Palestinian Prisoners
- Repeal the #BoycottBlacklist (NY’s anti-BDS legislation)
- Sign USPCN’s Petition to #StopAD (administrative detention)
- Airbnb: Say No to Stolen Homes. Sign the petition here.
- DNC Rules Committee to Abolish Super Delegates
- Colorado Care Yes
- Petition to DNC for Medicare for All
- NO LAME DUCK TPP PETITION.
- Stand up to Big Drug Companies Petition
- Phonebanking: Eric Kingson (NY), Zephyr Teachout (NY), Pramilia Jayapal (WA), and Tim Canova (FL)
- Adopt a Bernie Delegate
Thanks all! Looking forward to your comments and additions!